Saturday 31 January 2015

Is AutoCAD about to die?!

Is AutoCAD about to die?!

This is not something I ever expected to hear. I've been using AutoCAD since 1989 (yes, I that old or I was just an early adopter) and have been a fan ever since. But in recent years the price has rocketed. So, imagine my delight when I found progeCAD from www.progesoft.com and check it out. I've been using AutoCAD LT 2010 for the last few years and after trialling progeCAD on a project I can tell you that it works in exactly the same way - all the commands; everything and I mean everything. All the favourite commands, the command line, the icons, EVERYTHING!!!

I've tested several AutoCAD alternative over the years (including DoubleCAD and TurboCAD LTE) and I can safely say that progeCAD (which is Swiss by the way and so likely to stay around) is the best.

Plus with the current version of AutoCAD LT retailing at over £1200.00 and the annual licence option running at £285.00, just what do Autodesk think they're doing. LT is supposed to stand for 'light version'. £1250.00?!!! That isn't light. What Autodesk need to do is release a light version of their light version!

Where as progeCAD is £186.75 and it's 3D!!!

You can read more about the engine that powers progeCAD at www.intellicad.org and on other website.

No comments:

Post a Comment